Balanced and equity update: Navigating extraordinary times
In this live-recorded webinar, Herman van Velze, STANLIB’s Head of Equity and Balanced funds and Henk Viljoen, senior portfolio manager share their views on the market impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
- SA economic and fiscal data is worse than the initial guidance suggested
- However, like in other emerging market countries dealing with the impact of COVID-19, South Africa offers some buying opportunities but there are still significant uncertainty
- Bonds have stabilised, supported by monetary stimulus, after initial liquidity driven selloff and although WGBI rebalancing may cause short term volatility, there is still value in the asset class
- SA sectors currently offering opportunities include technology, diversified miners and insurance
- Be selective when choosing risk assets, with preference for quality global shares